Renovated in 1892, Sinai's opulent temple was actually the congregation's third temple after the congregation's members moved throughout the city since its founding in 1861. The temple on the southwest corner of Indiana Avenue and 21st Street, however, would be the congregation's grandest structure to date, designed by famed architects Louis Sullivan and Dankmar Adler.

Drawing of Sinai Temple, Chicago 1900
Photo of Interior of Sinai Temple Chicago, 1900

"Sinai's New Temple," and "Interior of Sinai Temple," in The Jews of Illinois: Religion, Charity, Industry, a special issue of the Reform Advocate vol. XXI no. 11 (May 4, 1901): 329 and 330.

Historical Address: 
Indiana Ave. and 21st St., Chicago
Contemporary Address: 

2084 S. Indiana Avenue, Chicago IL 60661

Citation Information

"Sinai's New Temple," and "Interior of Sinai Temple," in The Jews of Illinois: Religion, Charity, Industry, a special issue of the Reform Advocate vol. XXI no. 11 (May 4, 1901): 329 and 330.

, from Faith in the City: Chicago's Religious Diversity in the Era of the World's Fair, accessed accessed , , https://faith.galecia.com/resource/sinai-temple.