Not only was First Presbyterian Church one of Chicago's oldest congregations, it was also one of the most prominent. This church's minister, the Rev. John Henry Barrows, was already a nationally-recognized preacher, and after he helped organize the World's Parliament of Religion his reputation would only grow. The church's massive redbrick structure had what was then the city's tallest steeple while the interior was filled with hand-crafted wood ornamentation. In every way the church both reflected and affirmed the wealth and prominence of its members, who included such leading Chicago business leaders like Marshall Field and William H. Swift. Even the church's choir was directed by noted composer Philo Adams Otis.

First Presbyterian Church, Chicago c. 1900
First Presbyterian Church, Chicago c. 1900

"The First Prebyterian Church," in Philo Adams Otis, The First Presbyterian Church, 1833-1913: A History of the Oldest Organization in Chicago (Chicago: Fleming H. Revell Co., 1913), 82-83, and 110-111.

Historical Address: 
Indiana Ave. and 21st St., Chicago
Contemporary Address: 

2100 S Indiana Ave., Chicago, IL 60616

Citation Information

"The First Prebyterian Church," in Philo Adams Otis, The First Presbyterian Church, 1833-1913: A History of the Oldest Organization in Chicago (Chicago: Fleming H. Revell Co., 1913), 82-83, and 110-111.

, from Faith in the City: Chicago's Religious Diversity in the Era of the World's Fair, accessed accessed , , https://faith.galecia.com/resource/first-presbyterian-church.