The priests and monastics affiliated with the Alexian Brothers have a reputation for nursing the ill that dates back to the fourteenth century when the order cared for those who suffered from the bubonic plague in Europe. The order's activities in America were no different. The hospital they opened in Chicago in 1868 was the first founded by the order in the United States. Like many of Chicago's early institutions, the 1871 Chicago fire destroyed the hospital's original building. In 1873 the order moved to this location and built up the campus of buildings described here. As this excerpt from a city directory makes clear, the Alexians took their vow to heal the sick very seriously, forswearing any kind of salary in order to increase the amount of aid that could go to patients. Shortly after the World's Fair, however, the city's expanding streetcar system forced the Alexians to relocate yet again to a location on Belden Avenue. While this hospital is also gone, the Alexian Brothers Health System continues to operate a number of healthcare locations throughout the Chicago region.

L. Schick, Chicago and Its Environs: A Handbook for the Traveller (Chicago: L. Schick, 1891), 359-360.

Historical Address: 
559-569 N. Market St.
Contemporary Address: 

1500 N. Orleans St., Chicago, IL 60610

Citation Information

L. Schick, Chicago and Its Environs: A Handbook for the Traveller (Chicago: L. Schick, 1891), 359-360.

, from Faith in the City: Chicago's Religious Diversity in the Era of the World's Fair, accessed accessed %token:current-date:custom:M %token:current-date:custom:d, %token:current-date:custom:Y, https://faith.galecia.com/resource/alexian-brothers-hospital.